Saturday 8 October 2016

Osaka travel guide: Meoto Zenzai


So, on this trip, I went to eat the meoto zenzai (literal translation: husband & wife thousand years?) at hozenji yokocho which is near dotonbori. This shop was made popular after an author wrote a novel of the same name in this shop (oh well, the shop later changed its name to the title of the novel, so..). Apparently, the novel is very popular and as spawned movies and dramas etc.
Map here
image
This shop only sells one item - meoto zenzai (either hot/ cold) which is like one portion of red bean soup split into two small bowls/ servings each with one dango each which i love so much. This also comes with dried kelp as the zenzai can be sweet to some. I personally like the zenzai hehe. At 800 yen for two small bowls, this is considered steep I guess.
However, tons of tourists (locals and overseas) flock to this shop, for there’s a saying that couples who split the zenzai (one bowl each) will stay together forever. I went with my mum so we had like a portion each (I had the cold one while she had the hot one), so each of us finished two bowls ourselves since it is said that singles will have good luck in love if they finished one portion themselves
While this might be expensive, I think the zenzai taste good and for novelty’s sake and the atmosphere, it is worth going. Definitely going back again when I have a boyfriend. (more excuses to eat zenzai, why not)
Map here

Thanks for reading this post, if you would like to support me, please make a small contribution through here.

No comments:

Post a Comment